Why Grey Matters International is Not Therapy, Rehab or Self-Help
The brain is wired to feel right, not to be happy or fulfilled. We pursue notions and desires that we seek that, at times, conflict with the pattern-making parts of our brains. Because most traditional approaches to changing behavior attempt to “feel good,” our brains confuse attaining that feeling with “effective behavior change”: mistaking good feelings as doors that set us free. Thus we “short-circuit” our own happiness and effectiveness when our attempts at change are built upon attractive half-truths. What we end up with are maddening patterns of behaviors, decisions, or resultant moods, all of which seem to persist or actually get stronger as a result of an approach that was flawed from the beginning.
Instead, we at Grey Matters International believe that:
- No problem will ever be solved on the same level of thinking it originally was created on;
- Human decision-making is not purely rational, and is influenced by many seemingly irrelevant factors that are irrational;
- That both the “self-help” and “brain change” industries are wrought with pseudo-science;
- Most forms of human suffering are second-order change issues (ie, change coming from implicit assumptions/rules of a system not working anymore vs. elements within);
- Emotions and counseling-based-dialogues are error-prone and have many brain-based biases that need different levels of influence;
- Ultimately, human beings need help changing how we change……
Welcome to the game-changing tools of Grey Matters International, Inc.
Find Dr. Kevin Fleming on Google+